Hi all -

I spoke up at the community meeting and during the NANOG Transition BOF at
NANOG, trying to get a better understanding of what was happening with NANOG.
I asked a few questions, and admittedly got caught up in the moment during some
of the discussions. A couple folks got the impression that I was AGAINST the
transition.

To be clear - - - I am NOT against the transition (of NANOG from a Merit
activity to a new organization more tightly directed by elected members of the
community).
My issues are with how we got here.

As I stated before, in the first Steering Committee I was pushing for the same
thing (See slide 12 "Actual Results" of my NANOGHIstory slides from NANOG 37
back in 2007). The idea that the elected Steering Committee was merely an
advisory role or meeting attendee advocate role just didn't seem rational - it
provided the 'transparency' but lacked the 'accountability' aspect that we all
required from the post-NANOG revolution phase. As several folks mentioned,
there are indeed different interests at play between Merit and the NANOG
community, as there in any partnership. My feeling was (and is) that this
advisory form of Steering Committee-Merit relationship is not as effective as
it needs to be.  So the end state of some form of self-governed NANOG can be
better.

At this NANOG I had conversations with the NANOG Steering Committee members and
the Merit folks about what led to this immediate transition. Based on what I
learned, we have here is a classic inter-group conflict that could have been
better handled with a mediator and informal discussions. The goals should have
been ensuring buy in to cooperative transition, defining a plan and timeline
for an orderly and coordinated community-driven transition plan. As is typical,
the rationale from both sides included exaggerated perceptions about
motivations and many assumptions about how the other side would react to
various actions.

In any case, instead, both sides have left the community with a transition where

1) the broader community was not brought along for the ride with identified
problems and proposed solutions, it was a 'done deal' (this would have taken
time)
2) the plan for this new NANOG was not shared broadly with the community (was
not really developed fully), and yet
3) both sides agree the transition HAS TO HAPPEN now.

So, as a community member, my opinion is that we lost an opportunity to do
something really cool here: we could have taken the time to develop a newer and
better NANOG organization while demonstrating the principles that led to the
first revolution: transparency, accountability, as a newer, better NANOG, all
done in a community-driven fashion. This would have taken time and some work,
but it would have been pretty cool.

But the past doesn't matter now, so Where are we now?

Fundamentally, we all agree that
the transition will happen,
it will happen in a couple NANOGs,
we all want it to be a success,
we will try some new untested things.

Just wanted to share where I am coming from, and I agree that the discussion
should now be about what we should do. I look forward to that.

Bill

Sidenote - I would share in some of the blame in that we in the Steering
Committees to date did not candidly describe some of these frictions in our
meeting minutes; instead we all glossed over differences, and patted ourselves
on the back for the progress and success of the meetings. It would have been
helpful feedback back to the community how this SC-PC-MLC-NANOG experiment
actually worked and where it didn't.

As a result of lack of candor, we have nothing to point to, nothing for the
successor SC to review that highlighted relationship challenges, what was tried
to overcome those challenges, etc... in short, there is an absence of
institutional memory for the future SCs and the community to highlight the
problems and why the transition is the best solution to the problems identified.