I've been trying to avoid this topic, though as one of few
participants familiar with MediaMelon's account of what happened
(we've been looking at their product, independently of this all), I
feel obligated to offer my two cents...

The underlying facts are not in dispute -- Kumar from MediaMelon *did*
meet Bill Norton for lunch in San Francisco.  Following Bill's advice,
Kumar entered the plenary, in search of some Netflix staffers to pitch
his product to.  In hindsight, Kumar regrets deeply having done this.
As a relative newcomer to the community, he looked to Bill for
leadership, and was unfortunately offered bad advice on acceptable
standards of conduct and engagment.

The sliver lining in this incident is that I've gotten a commitment
from Kumar and crew to donate to NewNog.  I get the feeling they'd
compensate Merit for a lost registration in San Francisco, too, if
requested.  The important thing to keep in mind is that we're dealing
with a fundamentally good bunch of folk, though newcomers, who had
fallen victim to bad advice.

With that said, and given what transpired, I think the responsible
course of action is for us to all pressure Bill for the funds, falling
back to MediaMelon's generous offer as a last resort.  He's obviously
trying to downplay the importance of this, though with some
polite-but-persistent reminders (in response to posted diatribes, in
person, ...), he's sure to cave eventually.

I'll be sure to keep the community apprised of any movement on this
front.

-a