On 25 Nov 2003, at 16:28, joshua sahala wrote:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Or Ciscoworks. A config change sends a syslog event to CW which in turn knows to go grab the latest copy of the config. I believe there are some reporting capabilities too, simple diff routines and archives of past configs.

or if you cannot afford cisco works (or would rather spend the money on other things...), you can do something similar with swatch. just look for the syslog string:

%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by $user

then trigger a rancid run on that device

I once wrote a rancid-like tool that did that (scripted config gets triggered by syslog). I haven't touched it since I met rancid, but some people tell me that they like it:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/ciscoconf/ciscoconf-1.1.tar.gz

Joe