On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:22:44PM -0200, MARLON BORBA wrote:

> mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :-(
> my intention, when suggested that reading, was to get your attention about
> that recent attack which targeted DNS top-level servers and to listen your
> opinions.
> i promise not to post porn, ops, FUD material to nanog again.
>

> Abraços,
>
> Marlon Borba, CISSP, DataCenter Associate
> Técnico Judiciário - Segurança da Informação
> TRF 3ª Região
> (11) 3012-1683
> --
> 1997-2007 - Dez Anos da DSUP.
> Conhecimento Gerando Soluções.
> --

        what is interesting to me is the "ripple" effect - kind of like the
childrens game of "telephone".
        second, third, and fourth hand interpretation of the events allows the
reporter to project their own
        worst nightmares onto the event ...  for some, its a way to raise the
spector of fear, giving them
        credence or the opportunity to market their particular services to the
huddled, fearful masses.

        and to borrow a line from another bit of this thread, http and dns are
both applications.  applications
        are vulnerable to attacks that exploit the underlaying protocols.  the
BEST we can do, w/o replacing
        IP & TCP/UDP is instrument the applications to alert us that there is a
problem.  And the actions
        you (as the target of packet love) take may make your local life
manageable, (compartmentalization)
        can have devestating impact on your peers/neighbors.

        so don't worry, your posts seem fine to me

--bill