Erik (Caneris) wrote:

> So it can be argued both ways. Ultimately, it all comes down to marketing and
> hype. With everything going to IP at both the core and edge (yes, I chose the
> terms deliberately) and analogue-digital-analogue or TDM-IP-TDM-IP
> conversation happening so many times, the terms "POTS" and "VOIP" are
> becoming nothing but marketing speak open for abuse. Often, confused by
> marketing of the "big boys", the end users have no clue what they're using,
> especially when it's CPE-less like VoIP-behind-POTS or "hosted PBX" or FTTB
> or cable or even things powered by field equipment. A certain company here
> tells DSL folks they're on fibre and another one emphasizes to staff to refer
> to their cable phone service as "it's not VoIP, it's IP telephony" (I'm not
> kidding).
>

> Regards,
> --
> Erik
> Caneris

None of the above matters if the supposed POTS lines has a greater
availability over the true VOIP phone you use via your residential
internet service. If "they" can trick the customer by providing the
"analogue-digital-analogue" service so well that the customer doesn't
realize it then the originating comment that started this tangent is
moot. They are providing a reliable E911 service over IP.

If they're not providing a more reliable service than we're back to the
same point. E911 over ip (and VOIP) are generally less reliable than
true POTS.

Regards,

        Chris