When using a data-only Fi SIM (which are free if you have an account, just pay
the bandwidth), they always just act as a T-Mobile US MVNO and route back
through the US. Still, latency aside, I've found it incredibly reliable (plus
in many countries you can pick from multiple networks).

If you have an Android phone it may switch to 3UK/Hutch's global network,
though I have less experience with that.

Matt