My guess is that it’s all the DDoS traffic coming from China saturating the
links.

From: NANOG Email List <nanog-boun...@nanog.org> on behalf of Pengxiong Zhu
<pzhu...@ucr.edu>
Date: Monday, March 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM
To: NANOG list <nanog@nanog.org>
Cc: Zhiyun Qian <zhiy...@cs.ucr.edu>
Subject: China’s Slow Transnational Network

Hi all,

We are a group of researchers at University of California, Riverside who have
been working on measuring the transnational network performance (and have
previously asked questions on the mailing list). Our work has now led to a
publication in Sigmetrics 2020 and we are eager to share some
interesting findings.

We find China's transnational networks have extremely poor performance when
accessing foreign sites, where the throughput is often persistently
low (e.g., for the majority of the daytime). Compared to other countries we
measured including both developed and developing, China's transnational network
performance is among the worst (comparable and even worse than some African
countries).

Measuring from more than 400 pairs of mainland China and foreign nodes over
more than 53 days, our result shows when data transferring from foreign nodes
to China, 79% of measured connections has throughput lower than the 1Mbps,
sometimes it is even much lower. The slow speed occurs only during certain
times and forms a diurnal pattern that resembles congestion (irrespective of
network protocol and content), please see the following figure. The diurnal
pattern is fairly stable, 80% to 95% of the transnational connections have a
less than 3 hours standard deviation of the slowdown hours each day over the
entire duration. However, the speed rises up from 1Mbps to 4Mbps in about half
an hour.

[blob:null/71cf5a6a-3841-41ce-a1d4-207b59182189]

We are able to confirm that high packet loss rates and delays are incurred in
the foreign-to-China direction only. Moreover, the end-to-end loss rate could
rise up to 40% during the slow period, with ~15% on average.

There are a few things noteworthy regarding the phenomenon. First of all, all
traffic types are treated equally, HTTP(S), VPN, etc., which means it is
discriminating or differentiating any specific kinds of traffic. Second, we
found for 71% of connections, the bottleneck is located inside China (the
second hop after entering China or further), which means that it is mostly
unrelated to the transnational link itself (e.g., submarine cable). Yet we
never observed any such domestic traffic slowdowns within China.
Assuming this is due to congestion, it is unclear why the infrastructures
within China that handles transnational traffic is not even capable to handle
the capacity of transnational links, e.g., submarine cable, which maybe the
most expensive investment themselves.

Here is the link to our paper:
https://www.cs.ucr.edu/~zhiyunq/pub/sigmetrics20_slowdown.pdf

We appreciate any comments or feedback.