I wouldn't say it's known to many as not many folks are actually limited by
only up to ~1M customer connections, or next level up, only up to ~1M customer
VPNs.

> Apart from the global table vs. VRF parity concerns I've always had (one of
> which was illustrated earlier this week, on this list, with RPKI in a VRF),

Well yeah, things work differently in VRFs, not a big surprise.
And what about an example of bad flowspec routes/filters cutting the boxes off
net -where having those flowspec routes/filters contained within an Internet
VRF would not have such an effect.
See, it goes either way.
Would be interesting to see a comparison of good vs bad for the Internet routes
in VRF vs in Internet routes in global/default routing table.

> the
> other reason I don't do Internet in a VRF is because it was always a
> trade-off:
>
>     - More routes per VRF = fewer VRF's.
>     - More VRF's  = fewer routes per VRF.

No, that's just a result of having a finite FIB/RIB size -if you want to cut
these resources into virtual pieces you'll naturally get your equations above.
But if you actually construct your testing to showcase the delta between how
much FIB/RIB space is taken by x prefixes with each in a VRF as opposed to all
in a single default VRF (global routing table) the delta is negligible.
(Yes negligible even in case of per prefix VPN label allocation method -which
I'm assuming no one is using anyways as it inherently doesn't scale and would
limit you to ~1M VPN prefixes though per-CE/per-next-hop VPN label allocation
method gives one the same functionality as per-prefix one while pushing the
limit to ~1M PE-CE links/IFLs which from my experience is sufficient for most
folks out there).

adam