On Apr 20, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
We're running out of IPv4 space.

Knowing that blatant lying about IP space justifications has been an
ongoing game in the community, ARIN has decided to "do something" about
it.

So now they're going to require an attestation.  Which means that they
are going to require an "officer" to "attest" to the validity of the
information.

So the "officer," most likely not being a technical person, is going to contact ... probably the same people who made the request, ask them if
they need the space.  Right?

And why would the answer be any different, now?

Just a thought: A technical person might be very happy to lie to a toothless organization that holds no real sway over him or her, won't revoke the address space once granted, and for whom the benefit of lots of address space in which to play exceeds any potential pain from being caught, er, exaggerating their need for address space.

That same technical person might be less inclined to lie to a director of their company who asks: "Are you asking me to attest, publicly and perhaps legally, that this information is correct? If you're wrong and you make an ass of me, it's going to be yours that goes out the door."

Seems like a reasonable experiment to try, at least.

  -Dave