From: NANOG <nanog-bounces+martijnschmidt=i3d....@nanog.org> on behalf of
Baldur Norddahl <baldur.nordd...@gmail.com>
Sent: 30 October 2020 20:29
To: nanog@nanog.org <nanog@nanog.org>
Subject: urpf - evil?

Hello

While working on my ACLs I noticed that I was successful in blocking some
apparently spoofed IPv6 traffic. The destination was Facebook and the source
was IPv6 range belonging to a mobile operator that sells 4G Wifi router based
solutions.

So thinking about how and why a few customers end up sending packets to our
network with the wrong source, I came up with a theory (not validated): What if
the customer connects his 4G Wifi router to one of the LAN ports of our CPE (or
visa versa)? His computer would then pick up an IPv6 range from both ISPs along
with two default routes. But only one default route would be used, and in this
case that was apparently the default route going to our network. But still his
computer might use the IPv6 address from the other ISP as source and therefore
he ends up "spoofing" by sending that to us. We deliver the packets to Facebook
and I assume Facebook will route the replies just fine through the other ISP.

Now the thing is that my impression is that it actually works so long I do not
actively block it with uRPF or ACLs on our edge. I have learned that spoofing
is evil and I should be blocking this - but why am I sabotaging something that
apparently is doing just fine at some customers?

Regards,

Baldur

  • urpf - evil? Baldur Norddahl
    • Re: urpf - evil? Martijn Schmidt via NANOG