Once upon a time, J. Hellenthal <jhellent...@dataix.net> said:
> Sad that in some cases the extra WiFi usage results in higher electric bills
> for the consumer.... and cannot be opted out of.

That's the worst argument against this.  Of course you can opt out;
don't use the cable company's box.  And adding an extra SSID to an
already-operating access point (and additional traffic when it used) is
going to be difficult to even measure as a power utilization difference.
If it increased power by an average of one watt (which I really doubt
it'd be that high), that's less than 7 cents per month where I live.

--
Chris Adams <c...@cmadams.net>