From: NANOG <nanog-bounces+john=vanoppen....@nanog.org> On Behalf Of Sabri
Berisha
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 11:43 AM
To: Haudy Kazemi <kaze0...@umn.edu>
Cc: nanog <nanog@nanog.org>
Subject: Re: Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

----- On Feb 17, 2021, at 11:21 AM, nanog
<nanog@nanog.org<mailto:nanog@nanog.org>> wrote:

Hi,
Using the sample bill on the GA power website you linked, I see a bottom line
price of $76.17 for 606 kWh delivered to the customer. That is effectively
12.57 cents per kWh.

Utilities (both investor owned and coops) have a multitude of ways of hiding
the effective price in a variety of fixed and variable fees not included in the
nominal 'energy' fee. These include mandatory fixed connection fees and also
fuel cost recovery fees that are tied to consumption.
Exactly. In a message earlier today which is held and presumably lost due to
moderation, I shared screenshots of an actual bill of mine here in California.

Long story short, using that bill I show that I paid a grand total of $239.14
for 656.928 KwH of electricity. That makes 36.4 cents per KwH.

In addition to that, I also shared another bill, where I paid $2.63 for the
privilige of providing the net with 31.993 KwH of energy. That's right. My
solar panels produced more power than I consumed and I still sponsored the
crooks at PG&E.

Utility companies are worse than airlines when it comes to hidden fees and
surcharges. They know we have no choice.

The only reason I want more solar panels is to give a bigger middle finger to
PG&E. Nothing is a better motivator to go green than to see PG&E go bankrupt.
It's a sad state of affairs when the disgust for the utility company's
deceptive practices somehow outweighs the need to save the planet. Yet here we
are.

Thanks,

Sabri