On 3/25/21 18:51, Allen McKinley Kitchen (gmail) wrote:

And to push this point further:

I don’t claim to speak for all graybeards, but now that I am past the era of
enjoying my kids' school activities, and resting on an empty nest, I once again
don’t mind being involved in what younger engineers are doing far beyond “work
hours”. There are a few reasons for that: it turns out that this is when “the
kids” tend to be doing the most interesting and boundary-pushing work, and the
observations that an old-head can offer are sometimes welcome; also, that lets
me have a vital window on what they're doing and how it may affect the world as
we know it; and finally, rather than being jealous of my time, my beloved
speaks of being proud of how I am called on by younger peers and can remember
things that the kids haven’t had time to learn.

Now that last one has no real network application .. but it makes me feel good.

So .. ages and stages, +1.

What impresses me about the kids and their approach to problems is that all they want to do is solve them (I'm talking 12 - 20 years old). They have zero time for job titles, who has the billions or all the trappings of "success".

They are the ones who keep me up at night, because they will, inadvertently, drive the success of what one thinks their business is about.

Mark.