> The point that several brought up is that doing so is not only a bad idea,
> but that it simply won't work

Jay,

I’ve had this scenario play out several times:

DIYguy: Check out my new generator! It’s big enough to power the whole house!

Me: You run extension cords from the generator to all your devices then?

DIYguy: No need! I built this special “suicide cord” I read about online in a
prepper forum. I just plug that into any wall outlet and it powers the whole
house!

Me: Um, you haven’t tested this, have you?

DIYguy: Sure. I fired up the generator and plugged the dryer into it. Works a
treat!

Me: No, I mean your special cord. Have you tested that?

DIYguy: Hey, if it'll power the dryer, it’ll power my whole house. No need to
test!

Me: Ok, first of all, that’s not a “suicide cord”. That’s a “homicide cord”.
Second, …

The problem with this scenario is that the DIYguy never finds out that it won’t
work, at least not until the trial. :)

 -mel