> On Mar 11, 2022, at 8:39 AM, Joe Maimon <jmai...@jmaimon.com> wrote:
>
> Google's statistics...

I'm not sure which of you I'm replying to. The comment was made on NANOG the
other day that we should discount Google statistics because they have been
promoting IPv6 for a decade. It's true that they have been doing so. But they
aren't the only people with statistics.

https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/compare.php?metric=p&countries=in,my,sa,be,de,fr,gr,vn,tw,gf,zz,us,jp,th,br,mx,ae,lk,uy,hu,lu,fi,il,pt,gt,ch,gp,gb,mq,nl,ca,ee,ec,re,au,np,tt,at,ro,ga,ie,no,gy,bt,py,pe,kw,sx,mm,nz,co,cz,bo,ni,tg,ph,pl,sg,is,ar,kr,om,cl,sv,jm,si,mo,se,lv,jo,cg,ba,lc,zw,ir,id,md,hn,by,sk,al,rw,pf,ge,bz,dk,ru,hr,rs,it,vc,ke

You might look at the following links. Eric Vyncke has been putting up charts
basically on Google, Akamai, and APNIC statistics for a while. One thing to
consider is that around 90 countries (92 in this capture, as low as 89 a couple
of days ago) have 5% or greater response rate using IPv6. Google and Akamai
have their own content networks, and in at least some countries only
externalize AAAA records or respond to IPv6 requests. APNI isn't that way; they
don't operate a content network, but rather accept traffic from across the
backbone. Consider that a content network essentially reports traffic from a
customer network to their first hop ISP, while when APNIC reports an IPv6
access, the father form APNIC to the collector in question has to include every
network and every router in the path. Now look at these:

https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/compare.php?metric=p&countries=in
https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/compare.php?metric=k&countries=in
https://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/CC?x=1&s=1&p=1&w=30&c=IN

I think the APNIC numbers demonstrate that paths through the backbone generally
support IPv6 end to end, and that from a routing perspective there is no reason
to favor IPv4.

There are 8 Countries (this evening) that Google reports roughly equal response
rates from using IPv4 or IPv6. cf
https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/compare.php?metric=p&countries=in,my,sa,be,de,fr,gr,vn.
 This doesn't prove that IPv6 has taken over the world, but it does prove that
those who would discount available statistics sources are a little too shrill
in doing so.

Where IPv6 has a problem today is with enterprise. IMHO, this is basically
because enterprise is looking at the bottom line. If ISPs were to do what
Mythic Beasts says they do, which is charge their users for address space, IPv6
is virtually free while IPv4 costs something. I suspect that enterprise would
change its tune dramatically.