> On Jun 16, 2023, at 13:16, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
>

> On 6/16/23 1:09 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:
>>

>> On 6/16/23 21:19, Josh Luthman wrote:
>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> In my world I constantly see people with 0 fixed internet options.  Many of
>>> these locations do not even have mobile coverage.  Competition is fine in
>>> town, but for millions of people in the US (and I'm going to assume it's
>>> worse or comparable in CA/MX) there is no service.
>>>
>>> As a company primarily delivering to residents, competition is not a focus
>>> for us and for the urban market it's tough to survive on a ~1/3 take rate.
>>
>> I should have been clearer... the lack of competition in many markets is not
>> unique to North America. I'd say all of the world suffers that, since there
>> is only so much money and resources to go around.
>>
>> What I was trying to say is that should a town or village have the
>> opportunity to receive competition, where existing services are capped,
>> uncapping that via an alternative provider would be low hanging fruit to
>> gain local marketshare. Of course, the alternative provider would need to
>> show up first, but that's a whole other thread.
>>
> Won't Starlink and other LEO configurations be that backstop sooner rather
> than later? I don't know if they have caps as well, but even if they do they
> could compete with their caps.
>
> Mike

Maybe, but ta the rate their prices have been going up and their reviews have
been going down, it’s not at all promising. I’m in a wait and see mode with
Starling. Every time I get just about frustrated enough with Comcast to shell
out, I discover that Starling’s pricing has again moved above my threshold of
frustration.

Owen