Appliance virtualization is perfectly acceptable for a lot of things. But
there are large sets of problems that you will never catch that way.

To the OP :

With respect to 'strategies' :

1. Test something to make sure it works.
2. Then test it to see where and how it breaks.

Lots of people do #1. Not enough do #2. (Looking at you, equipment vendors.
)