From: Steve Bertrand [st...@ibctech.ca]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 20:40
To: Herbert, John
Cc: cmad...@hiwaay.net; nanog@nanog.org
Subject: Re: Multi site BGP Routing design

john.herb...@ins.com wrote:
> Depending on your security policies you may want to encrypt said tunnel also.
>
> Other than that, it all depends on it all depends. For example - if you
> receive / or have a default route pointing to the ISP, then the fact you have
> the same AS and won't receive the other site's routes in BGP doesn't matter
> at all - you'll follow a default from site 1 to the ISP, and the ISP will
> have a route to site 2 and can pass the traffic in the right direction. If
> you don't mind your traffic being passed unencrypted over the Internet, that
> is. You'll obviously need to adapt your firewall policies to allow for that
> flow as well.

Personally, I don't really like the tunnel idea... I've had to deal with
them for v6 connectivity, and they seem so 'ugly'.

My first thoughts were about de-aggregation, but since he's already
advertising different space out of each site, that became irrelevant.

I was just thinking that two AS numbers would be the cleanest, easiest
to maintain method for him to take.

Certainly tunnelling did go through my mind though to ensure
site-to-site peering over the Internet.

Steve