From: NANOG <nanog-bounces+ryan=rkhtech....@nanog.org> on behalf of Matt
Corallo <na...@as397444.net>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2023 11:32 AM
To: Bryan Fields <br...@bryanfields.net>; nanog@nanog.org <nanog@nanog.org>
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is disconcerting?

Caution: This is an external email and may be malicious. Please take care when
clicking links or opening attachments.

On 11/8/23 2:23 PM, Bryan Fields wrote:
> On 11/8/23 2:25 PM, o...@delong.com wrote:
>> Seems irresponsible to me that a root-server (or other critical DNS
>> provider) would engage in a
>> peering war to the exclusion of workable DNS.
>
> I've brought this up before and the root servers are not really an IANA
> function IIRC.  There's not
> much governance over them, other than what's on root-servers.org.  I think a
> case could be made that
> C is in violation of the polices on that page and RFC 7720 section 3.
>
> Basically none of the root servers want to change this and thus it's never
> going to change.  DNS
> will fail and select another to talk to, and things will still work.

At what point does HE just host a second C root and announce the same IPv6s?
Might irritate Cogent,
but its not more "bad" than Cogent failing to uphold the requirements for
running a root server.

Matt