On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 at 21:45, Josh Luthman <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>
wrote:

Can you have an ethernet switch with dying gasp?
> Our ONTs (Calix, PON) have it but I don't see how you'd do it with
> ethernet.

At least via efm-oam you can have a dying gasp.

You could probably add it to autonegotiation, by sending some symbol. There
is already something similar in autonegotiation, like autonegotiation can
inform the far end, when it is locally shutdown. That is, if I have A-B
link, and B does 'shutdown' on the interface, A could emit syslog 'far-end
administratively down'. This is supported by many common PHYs, but for some
reason I've never seen software implementation.
Of course this same thing 'admin down', could be abused by sending it
always when you know you are going down. So an adventurous operator who
controls their environment could add this today with just code.

--
  ++ytti