LAN PHY dominates in the US too. Requests for WAN PHY were almost exclusively
for terrestrial backhaul extending off of legacy subsea systems that still
commonly had TDM-framed services. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been
in optical transport directly but these requests were essentially non-existent
after 2018 or so. OTN became somewhat more common from 2014 onward as optical
system interop improved, but actually was more common in the enterprise space
as providers would generally go straight to fiber in most use cases, and with
dark fiber opex costs coming down in many markets, I see OTN requests as
winnowing here as well.

Dave Cohen
craetd...@gmail.com