That postal database is especially problematic for those who live in rural
areas with no postal delivery. We need a better database system than the one
that USPS maintains because it affects a wider range of services.

Two years ago I moved to a house with no postal service, so I  got a PO box in
town for regular postal mail. I am able to get FedEx, UPS and other non-USPS
package deliveries to my residence. Google Maps knows right where I live. For
most purposes, this arrangement is fine. But not all....

The first thing I noticed is that Verizon Wireless was unable to update my 911
location to my physical address because they are pulling from the postal
database. I tried working through Verizon support a couple different ways but
no one knew how to fix it. I finally complained to the FCC and after a couple
months someone at Verizon went in and manually updated my address. I'm sure
other people are in the same boat. Yeah, hopefully E911 gets a fix in an
emergency but I'm not counting on it, especially when I'm inside and I see the
Maps application on my phone putting my location at a nearby cell tower.

The next issue is that it is impossible to apply for credit cards and probably
other loans online. The banks (more than one I've tried) use the postal
database and do not recognize my street address and do not accept PO Box input.

Another issue is that Amazon (and possibly other online retailers) are charging
me and my neighbors excess sales tax based on the ZIP code associated with a
town I do not live in. There's a way to complain and have it reversed.... for
every single purchase.

I know this is out of our hands as network operators, but maybe some day one of
you will be in a position to help.