I've found this conversation hugely of interest… The below isn't really a
question, more of a high level clarification/further thinking.

First, what actually happened and the impact (correct me if any of this is
wrong):

A stupid phishing complaint to NetSol by a 3rd party got he.net put into client
hold. As a result, assuming there is no cache protection, name servers around
the world trying to lookup anything.he.net were failing because ROOT servers
said go to NetSol for .net, and netsol had no answer for he.net due to client
hold. This means:

1. he.net <http://he.net/> website would have been down regardless if their
Auth NS was split Auth and split across TLDs
2. customer.com <http://customer.com/> website would be down is customer.com
used NS1.HE.NET <http://ns1.he.net/> and NS2.HE.NET <http://ns2.he.net/> as
Auth DNS because that resolution would fail due to he.net <http://he.net/>
being clienthold at NetSol
2.a. customer.com <http://customer.com/> website would be UP if customer.com
<http://customer.com/> used NS1.HE.NET <http://ns1.he.net/> and NS2.HE.ORG
<http://ns1.he.org/> as Auth DNS… assuming HE implemented secondary NS servers
on another TLD, or secondary was Cloudflare or something.

Obviously the root cause was a glitch, but if it wasn’t a phishing report it
could have been any other number of human errors, billing issue, internal
NetSol glitch/fat fingering, etc.,. something requiring human intervention -
which is hard to do these days because nobody has a 24x7 NOC with real people
who can make real changes.

#2 could have been protected by #2A, but as others have said #1 isn’t really
possible to 100% protect against. Yes, HE could get and use their own vanity
TLD at huge expense (say .he TLD) and since they control it a glitch like this
cant burn them, but you just trade risk because now you have to maintain the
infra of this TLD. So #1’s the easiest fix - just use MarkMonitor.

Ok…. now a rabbit hole. I looked at some vanity TLDs, and it appears the ALOT
of big companies have their names as TLDs, but almost none of them are using it
for anything. Why is that? Is it just a copyright play to protect the name from
some else taking it?

Then it got me interested, assuming a company already has the infra, what is a
realistic cost to get your own TLD and actually use it for yourself (and maybe
others)? I saw something online that said $250,000 but that didn’t make sense
if its all paperwork. Again, this assumes you already have infra to use.

-John