On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 06:10:24PM -0700, Warren Kumari wrote:
>    On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 5:56 PM, Niels Bakker <[1]niels=na...@bakker.net>
>    wrote:
>
>      * [2]war...@kumari.net (Warren Kumari) [Wed 10 Jul 2024, 23:03 CEST]:
>
>        More seriously, erm, you mean Eero like the wireless devices? Aren't
>        they supposed to be mesh wifi thingies, and so traffic is local? Like,
>        if [3]eero.com / an eero service goes down, well, … ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?
>
>      >From what I can tell from [4]reddit.com/r/amazoneero: existing systems
>      keep running but deploying a new install isn't working. Which is
>      problematic since quite a few ISPs deliver them as their standard WiFi
>      router setup. Reconfiguring after a factory reset isn't possible either,
>      and hasn't been for about a day, per that forum.
>
>    Ahhhhh! Thanks, that makes it all much clearer…

        Yes, that is a problem, and then when you get some interesting
failure conditions like the device says it's set up but does not
complete, it's an issue.

>    I'd actually tried the Eero stuff many many years ago, and probably still
>    have them sitting in the big-box-of-deprecated-stuff (AKA, "I should eBay
>    this sometime…"). This was in an attempt to try and get reasonable signal
>    to an area of the house that didn't have any Ethernet, and so I foolishly
>    tried various mesh solutions… I ended up solving the issue by moving a
>    stupidly heavy bookcase and discovering that I had actually installed
>    Ethernet in that area and then forgotten about it… :-P

        The eero 6+ is a device that I've appreciated and found it is
flexible and works well in most customer homes.

>        I suspect I'm missing something hugely obvious here…
>
>      Neither of us were the target audience for Jared's mail, I suspect.
>
>    Yeah, I should have guess that, as the mail was suspiciously light on the
>    razor-blades and hate…[0]

        Hah, I've had some issues with the service and seem to have hit
some quite interesting bugs, since they seem to attract me.  I've tried
to report them, but the recent outage does have me reconsidering things.

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from ja...@puck.nether.net