Not related to Verizon or outages at all (though it certainly was going to
be a very expensive and large scale outage at the time), there's a
fascinating book about the group of investors and people who formed a new
group to acquire the "v1.0" Iridium network out of bankruptcy, turn it into
a DoD essential service/US government contractor, and run the second
corporate incarnation of Iridium.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eccentric-Orbits-Iridium-John-Bloom/dp/0802121683

https://groveatlantic.com/book/eccentric-orbits/