----- Original Message ----

From: James Downs <e...@egon.cc>

Except this is exactly what happened.  The players with vested interests were
allowed a sort of "first refusal" on projects.  In areas where they had lots of
customers, they passed on the projects.  So, we find that in urban areas, you
can't get fiber in the home, but there are countless rural farms and homes that
have fiber just lying around.  I have an acquaintance 60 miles from the closest
commercial airport in TN, telling me about the fiber internet he has.

As an example of the above, Verizon has until 2017 to get FIOS to all of the
neighborhoods of Washington DC
(http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2008/11/24/daily8.html).  I am
envious of many of my suburban-dwelling coworkers and friends who already have
it.

 David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com