On Dec 15, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Babak Pasdar wrote:
>> Dear List,
>> I am getting a big push from Cogent on their full GigE for $1.50 per
>> circuit.  What are your experiences with Cogent in general?  If on the
>> fence, how would you use their service for this deal to make sense?
>
> $1.50 per meg. ;) I'd probably take it just because I could at that price.
> The downsides with Cogent is that they occasionally get into peering spats
> that might hurt you if you aren't multihomed, and no usable IPv6 (if that
> matters to you). I hadn't looked into it any further because I'm not located
> anywhere Cogent is to give it a serious look.

I'm pretty sure the system at $DAY_JOB is better at pushing bits near, but not
quite over, the hard limit of a link than any other out there.  And I am dead
certain I could not get 1000 Mbps out of a GigE without serious packet loss.

Even assuming 900 Mbps (good luck), you're at $1.66/Mbps.  Most people do 50%,
so that would be $3/Mbps.  Still probably a good price for 500 Mbps.  But how
much OpEx do you have to spend to ensure that link stays below 1 Gbps 24/7/365?

And if you only have 100 Mbps, though, it doesn't look so good.

--
TTFN,
patrick