On Jan 11, 2010, at 12:56 PM, George Bonser wrote:

>  One would probably have a load balancer of some sort in front of those
> machines.  That is the device that would be fielding any DoS.

Yes, and as you've noted previously, it should be protected via stateless ACLs
in hardware capable of handling mpps, S/RTBH, flow-spec, IDMS, whatever.  And
of course the load-balancer should also be fronted by a reverse-proxy cache
farm, if the servers in question are Web servers.

> I have a feeling you are talking about relatively small amounts of traffic.

I believe that these comments were more along the lines of 'servers can better
handle this that stateful firewalls', not ruling out the use of load-balancers,
reverse-proxy caches, etc. as appropriate.

Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken