From: Mark Smith na...@85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org

>Why can't IPv6 node addressing be as easy to understand and work with
>as Ethernet addresses? They were designed in the early 1980s*. 28 years
>or so years later, it's time for layer 3 addressing to catch up.

Becase Ethernet addresses are only locally significant, are not manually
assigned in the vast majority of cases, and changing a MAC by replacing a NIC
has no bearing on the configuration of a { server | router ACL | etc }.

Layer 3 addressing is globally significant, and the case we're discussing is
addresses which are human-assigned rather than automatically configured.
Link-local autoconfiguration in IPv6 works like a champ, and behaves pretty
much the way I would want it to.  Global addressing approaches, on the other
hand, are highly optimized in directions which make them less flexible or have
surprising consequences (hence this thread).
David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com