On Apr 9, 2010, at 12:20 PM, David Conrad wrote:

>> The question discussed is the practice of performing resource review as a
>> result of fraudulent applications.
>
> Actually, no.  The question was whether the practice of creating a company to
> hold IP addresses then selling that company to another organization was
> considered by ARIN to be fraudulent.  In the particular (historical) cases
> I'm aware of, the address space in question was legacy /24s and the transfers
> were done (as I understand it) according to ARIN policies of the time.

David - I didn't say that "the practice of creating a company to hold IP
addresses
then selling that company to another organization" was considered fraudulent by
ARIN.
I asked that you please report such cases, as depending on the specific
circumstances
they are  *potentially* fraudulent.

> Speaking personally (of course), I'll admit a certain lack of comfort with
> the idea of ARIN (or any RIR) acting as lawmaker, police, judge, jury, and
> (assuming RPKI gets deployed) executioner.

As a member of the community, you are free to propose changes to or elimination
of the policies in the NRPM which you are not comfortable with; I expect that
you
will find them in sections 8 and 12.  The policy development role is open to
the
community, but specifically not the ARIN Board and Staff, so there is perhaps a
little more separation present than your email suggests.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN