On 5/13/2010 10:36, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> We had a lightning strike nearby yesterday that looks to have come inside our
> facility via a feeder circuit that goes outdoors underground to our
> facility's gate.
>
> What's interesting is that various POE switches throughout the entire
> building seemed to be affected in that some of their ports they just shut
> down/off.  Rebooting these switches brought everything back to life.  It
> didn't impact anything non-POE, and even then, only impacted some devices.
> But it was spread across the whole building, across multiple switches.
>
> I was just curious if anyone had seen anything similar to this before?  Our
> incoming electrical power has surge suppression, and the power to the
> switches is all through double conversion UPS, so I'm not quite sure why any
> of them would have been impacted at all.  I'm guessing that the strike had
> some impact on the electrical ground, but I don't know what we can do to
> prevent future strikes from causing the same issues.  Thoughts?

I don't know how to account for this in a PoE world, but when I last
managed a campus network, we had major issues (particularly in an
active-thunder-storm environment) of severe difference in
ground-potential between buildings.

The only way we could survive was to connect buildings (including
free-standing kiosks) with their own "grounds" using glass.

Does anybody make a CAT 5 1-to-1 isolation transformer?

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca