On Jun 9, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

>> Problem is there's no financial liability for producing massively
>> exploitable software.
>> No financial penalty for operating a compromised system.
>> No penalty for ignoring abuse complaints.
>> Etc.
>>
>> Imagine how fast things would change in Redmond if Micr0$0ft had to pay the
>> cleanup costs for each and every infected system and any damage said
>> infected system did prior to the owner/operator becoming aware of the
>> infection.
>>

> It isn't Microsoft.  It once was, but Vista and Windows 7 are really solid,
> probably much better than Linux or Mac OS.  (Note that I run NetBSD and Mac
> OS; I don't run Windows not because it's insecure but because it's an
> unpleasant work environment for me.)
>
> Microsoft is targeted because they have the market.  If Steve Jobs keeps
> succeeding with his reality distortion field, we'll see a lot more attacks on
> Macs in a very few years.  It's also Flash and Acrobat Reader.  It's also
> users who click to install every plug-in recommended by every dodgy web site
> they visit.  It's also users who don't install patches, including those for
> XP (which really was that buggy).  There's plenty of blame to go around
> here....
>
> A liability scheme, with penalties on users and vendors, is certainly worth
> considering.  Such a scheme would also have side-effects -- think of the
> effect on open source software.  It would also be a lovely source of income
> for lawyers, and would inhibit new software development.  The tradeoff may be
> worth while -- or it may not, because I have yet to see evidence that
> *anyone* can produce really secure software without driving up costs at least
> five-fold.

I agree the miscreants go for the bigger bang for the buck.  That said, earlier
versions of Windows really were soft targets.  I don't know enough about Win7
to comment, but I respect Steve and will accept his opinion.  Let's hope MS
keeps up the good work - I do not want to bash Windows (no matter how fun it is
:), I want to stop being attacked.

But it is not -just- market share.  There are a lot more Windows Mobile
compromises, viruses, etc., than iOS, Symbian, and RIM.  I think combined.  Yet
Windows Mobile has the lowest market share of the four.  So unless that is
spill over because Windows Mobile & Windows Desktop have the same
vulnerabilities, it shows that market share is only one piece of the puzzle.

All that said, the biggest problem is users.  Social Engineering is a far
bigger threat than anything in software.  And I don't know how we stop that.
Anyone have an idea?

--
TTFN,
patrick