On Jul 13, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Greg Whynott wrote:

>> They are all software based, no matter who builds them.  Cisco IOS,
>> Juniper JunOS, etc.
>
> controlling hardware asic's and fpga's.

Which are in essence software burned into chips. They can provide some
acceleration, but will the next faster set of multicore CPUs and related
chipsets be faster? This back-and-forth has happened repeatedly over the
decades. Even in NIC cards, where there were early cards that offloaded
processing from the main computer, but on the next newer main CPU, these
"accelerated" cards were now the bottleneck and processing moved back to the
host. So it is with routers, ASICs and the like.

You should buy a solution because it meets your needs. You should not care
about the presence or absence of programmed logic vs. one or more CPUs. You
should care about throughput capabilities, latency, packets per second,
performance of filtering rules, etc. If the results can be obtained with off
the shelf parts and at a fraction of the cost, why do you care whether it was
built by someone with a big budget to spin ASICs, or by a company using
software in fast, off-the-shelf hardware?

Many Cisco products do not have ASICs or FPGAs, but are quite capable as
routers. I expect that's true of all the vendors.