On 12/26/10 4:37 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> You are likely already at the mercy of some local hut for your dialtone. Very
> few things home run to the co these days. It's unlikely any hut has more than
> 24 hours of battery.
>
> I have talked to local techs that make the same trip each shift to fuel the
> generator during regular or minor power outages. Anything major, expect the
> service to die.
>
> Best bets: your state emergency operations center, hospitals, airports,
> grocery stores and possibly hotels.
>
> During the northeast power outage the biggest local problem was inability to
> pump gas out of underground tanks. The margin at the stations is low enough
> it's not worth it to have generators. Best off having the pipeline next to
> you and to use natural gas/propane if your needs can be easily met by it.

During the last multi-hour power outage in my neighborhood I drove
around to tour the area; sure enough there was a truck backed up to many
(but not all) of them with a cable plugged in to the meter kiosk.

I feel dirty using a facebook link, but:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1265926&l=999da42e39&id=1327652570

However, residential internet access as a whole (DSL, cable) tends to
have lower reliability than POTS or T1, so they still a leg to stand on
if it matters to you. Power-wise though they're all on equal footing.

~Seth