On Feb 1, 2011, at 12:36 PM, david raistrick wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Dave Israel wrote:
>
>> responsibility.  If they want to use DHCPv6, or NAT, or Packet over Avian
>> Carrier to achieve that, let them.  If using them causes them problems, then
>> they should not use them.  It really isn't the community's place to force
>> people not to use tools they find useful because we do not like them.
>
> Not to mention that when you take tools -away- from people that solve an
> existing problem, you'll get a lot of pushback.

NAT solves exactly one problem. It provides a way to reduce address consumption
to work around a shortage of addresses.

It does not solve any other problem(s).

As such, taking it away when giving you a large enough address space that there
is no longer a shortage doesn't
strike me as taking away a tool that solves a problem. It strikes me as giving
you a vastly superior tool that solves
rather than working around a problem.

Owen