On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

>>> If you consider that wrong, I don't want to be right.
>
>> Hey, I thought you wanted ops input... Here you are getting it, and look,
>> here all you are doing is saying that its wrong.
>
> I said the IETF wants input.
>
> In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not the IETF. I don't represent them in any
> way. I'm not even a working group chair. I've gone to a bunch of meetings,
> spent way too much time on IETF mailinglists and co-wrote all of one RFCs.

You may not represent the IETF, but you are representative of the attitude of
the IETF.

> I read some great writing advice once. It applies to much more than just
> writing. It goes like this: whenever a reader tells you that there's
> something wrong with your book, there is something wrong with your book. But
> if they tell you how to fix it, they're pretty much always wrong.

There's something wrong with your attitude towards operators.
There's a lot wrong with the IETF attitude towards operators, but you're here :)

> I'm not part of the DHC working group and I'm not a big DHCP user myself, so
> I don't claim to know the issues that exist with DHCPv6 in the operational
> community. But I'm sure there are some valid issues there. However, I'm
> equally sure that adding IPv4-DHCP-style router addresses to DHCPv6 is a big
> mistake that will create a lot of operational problems. Maybe not in the
> networks of the people that want this feature, but the problems will be there.

Having machines listen to any RA they receive is _today_ a cause of a lot of
operational problems.  Why do we need mommy-IETF telling us no for default
routes in DHCP but letting RAs run wild?
Why does the mere mention of NAT cause daddy-IETF to round up the troops and
insist that everyone is wrong?