On Feb 10, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Jack Bates wrote:

> On 2/10/2011 8:15 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> I'm not certain that you could rely on any organizations statements made
>> today
>> to provide any assurance that circumstances would not change in the future
>> and
>> result in the address space being returned to ARIN or transferred per current
>> policy.
>
> An official statement from the DoD? I'm sure we could hold them to it as a
> community. Is it too much for us to ask the US government to give us
> assurance that we can safely utilize huge chunks of address space assigned to
> them for purposes such as LSN without fear? :)

In organizations of all sizes, positions and policies change,
with revised statements as a result. One thing that does not
change, however, is contractual commitments, and in this one
case I can state that there is a commitment to return IPv4
address blocks to ARIN for reuse by the community if they no
longer needed.

If you'd like to reserve a large block for purposes of LSN
without any concern of future address conflict, it would be
best to actually reserve it via community-developed policy.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO