On Jul 27, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Denys Fedoryshchenko wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:15:04 -0500, David E. Smith wrote:

<snip>

> I think on cheap platforms, they have wirespeed gigabit only on switching
> functions, but rest will suck. Their top products can do more, but they are
> still cannot beat PC with Linux. RB1100, $400 for 150 Kpps with NAT and 300
> Kpps without, it is not that good.

atheros ar7161 system on a chip can run as fast as 800mhz has dual gig-e macs
and supports 32bit 66mhz pci operation and when coupled with a companion
ethernet switch it can result in a fairly hefty little router platform.

an example of one would be

routerboard 433AH
or ubiquiti router-station pro.

BOM and flexibility is going to ultimately determine cost but these are
substatially more powerful than a lot of smaller embedded platforms we've be
using including geode/elan based pc devices.