On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 05:49:03PM -0430, Greg Ihnen wrote:

> > What standards?  The RFID tag on the milk carton will, essentially, replace
> > the bar code once RFID tags become cheap enough. It'll be like an
> > uber-barcode with a bunch more information.
> >
> > For keeping track of how much, cheap sensitive pressure transducers will
> > know by the position of the RFID tag combined with the weight of the thing
> > at that location in the refrigerator. There's no new standard required.
> >
> > The technology to do this exists today. The integration and mainstream
> > acceptance is still years, if not decades off, but, IPv6 should last for
> > decades, so, if we don't plan for at least the things we can see coming
> > today and already know feasible ways to implement, we're doomed for the
> > other unexpected things we don't see coming.
> >

> What reads the RFID's and the pressure sensors? What server or application
> receives this data and deals with it according to the user's desires? How
> does that data or the information and alerts this system would generate get
> to the user's devices? There has to be a device in the home or a server
> somewhere for a service the home owner subscribes to which keeps an inventory
> of all these things and acts on it.
>
> Do you really think it's going to be common place for people to have this
> kind of technology and more importantly use it?

And why do you think the fridge manufacturers will get it right in
cheaply-made consumer-grade products, when it's not being done right in
muh pricier automated self-check-out checkstands? I avoid self-check-out
checkstands because they fail in one way or another so damnably often.
My last encounter had the software failing to realize that a package of
100 nuts and 100 screws weighed a significan amount; the result was that
for each such package I tried to check out, I had to have someone from
the store come over, log in, do something, and log out again. Five times
total.

*Not* satisfactory.

I don't expect that the fridge makers will do any better.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mi...@mikea.ath.cx