On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobb...@arbor.net> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2011, at 3:43 AM, Everton Marques wrote:
>
>> Would Cisco ISR G2 3925E classify as software-based router?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Do you expect it to bend itself down under a few Mbps of 64-byte packets?
>
> Especially if they're directed at the router itself, at some point, sure -
> though the ISR2 certainly has more horsepower than the original ISRs, and
> I've personally yet to witness an ISR2 being DDoSed, so I've no feel for the
> specific numbers.  Features also play a role.
>
> This isn't to say that the ISR2 isn't a fine router - but rather that one
> must be cognizant of performance envelopes prior to deployment in order to
> determine suitability to purpose.  One can't reasonably expect vendors to
> exceed their design constraints in any type of equipment.
>
> ;>
>
> One can and should test the specific performance envelope of any prospective
> infrastructure purchase, of course.

> Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>
>
>                The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
>
>                          -- Oscar Wilde

Lots of devices can have trouble if you direct high PPS to the control
plane, and will exhibit performance degradation, leading up to a DoS
eventually.
That isn't limited to software based routers at all, it will impact
dedicated ASICs. Vendors put together solutions for this, to protect
the router itself/control plane, whether its a software based routed
or ASICs.
Now if this was a Microtik with an 1Ghz Intel Atom CPU, sure, lots of
things could take that thing offline, even funny looks. But a modern,
multi-core/multi-thread system with multi-queued NICs will handle
hundreds of thousands of PPS directed to the router itself before
having issues, of nearly any packet size.
A high end ASIC can handle millions/tens of millions PPS, but directed
to the control plane (which is often a general purpose CPU as well,
Intel or PowerPC), probably not in most scenarios.

I think its very fair for a small/medium sized organization to run
software based routers, Vyatta included.

--
Brent Jones
br...@servuhome.net