On Jan 27, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Your network, your decision.  On my network, we do not do MD5.  We do more
> traffic than anyone and have to be in the top 10 of total eBGP peering
> sessions on the planet.  Guess how many times we've seen anyone even attempt
> this attack?  If you guessed more than zero, guess again.
>
> I am fully well aware saying this in a public place means someone, probably
> many someones, will try it now just to prove me wrong.  I still don't care.
> What does that tell you?
>
> STOP USING MD5 ON BGP.

I would generally say: If you are on a p2p link or control the network, then
yeah, you don't need md5.  If you are at a shared medium (e.g.: IX) I do
recommend it there, as it will help mitigate cases where someone can hijack
your session by putting your IP/ASN whatnot on the router.

The threat (Attack) never became real and we've now had enough time that even
the slowest carriers are running fixed code.

- Jared