> a real programmer can be productive in networking tools in a matter of a
> month or two.  i have seen it multiple times.
>
> a networker can become a useful real progammer in a year or three.

Thank you! I always wonder when someone distinguishes between a networker and a
programmer as if they came from completely different worlds. I find these
fields to be highly related. They are algorithmic at the core and you need a
good understanding of architecture and design to successfully make the concepts
work. If you have ever tried to find a bug in a badly structured network, you
should be able to understand that implementing all of your application's use
cases in one module is not a good idea. After implementing a good serialization
scheme for your class data, network protocols are not that strange anymore (I
know I'm exaggerating on simple examples here, but I hope the idea comes
across).

My point is, if someone has a good understanding of applying architectural
patterns to a problem and isolating error causes while debugging, it shouldn't
matter if he wrote mostly software the last years or if she administered a
large scale network. A good sysadmin can learn to write software and a good
programmer can learn to love the datacenter.