On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2012, at 06:36, Masataka Ohta <mo...@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
> wrote:

>>> Got a better solution? ;)
>>
>> IPv4 without PMTUD, of course.
>
> We are (afaik) discussing IPv6 in this thread, I assume you typo'd here ;)

He is comparing & contrasting with the behavior of IPv4 v IPv6.

If your PMTU is broken for v4 because people do wholesale blocks of ICMP, there
is a chance they will have the same problem with wholesale blocks of ICMPv6
packets.

The interesting thing about IPv6 is it's "just close enough" to IPv4 in many
ways that people don't realize all the technical details.  People are still
getting it wrong with IPv4 today, they will repeat their same mistakes in IPv6
as well.

-

I've observed that if you avoid providers that rely upon tunnels, you can
sometimes observe significant performance improvements in IPv6 nitrates.  Those
that are tunneling are likely to take a software path at one end, whereas
native (or native-like/6PE) tends to not see this behavior.  Those doing native
tend to have more experience debugging it as well as they already committed
business resources to it.

- Jared