On Nov 28, 2012, at 4:17 PM, "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobb...@arbor.net> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2012, at 3:04 AM, Tony Hain wrote:
>
>> Getting the cpe vendors to ship in quantity requires the ISP engineering
>> organizations to say in unison "we are deploying IPv6 and will only
>> recommend products that pass testing".
>
> Do you see any evidence of that occurring?  I don't.

Yes.

Comcast, Cable Labs, Time Warner are doing pretty well at this now. Others
there is room for improvement, but it's definitely better than a year ago.

> Also, a lot of broadband consumers and enterprise organizations buy and
> deploy their own CPE.  Do you see a lot of IPv6 activity there?  I don't,
> excepting an IPv6 RFP checkbox for enterprises, which doesn't have any formal
> requirements and is essentially meaningless because of that fact.

Very little, but, most of those buy based on the "supported device" list from
their carrier, so…

>> You claim to be looking for the economic incentive, but are looking with
>> such a short time horizon that all you see are the 'waste' products vendors
>> are pushing to make a quick sale, knowing that you will eventually come back
>> for yet-another-hack to delay transition, and prop up your expertise in a
>> legacy technology.
>
> No.
>
> What I am looking for is an economic incentive which will justify the [IMHO]
> wildly overoptimisitic claims which some are making in re ubiquitous
> end-to-end native IPv6 deployment.
>
> Otherwise, I believe it will be a much more gradual adoption curve, as you
> indicate.

The inability to add customers to IPv4 will become a factor in this. 60% of the
world's population still isn't on the internet and I expect a significant
fraction of that will be coming on in the next 2-4 years.

Owen