don't think of this in terms of waste (v6 has an unthinkable number of numbers)
and think of security.  by announceing more space than you are actually using,
you create
"dark-space" that attackers can hide in-plain-sight.  so, for example, in your
P2P links,
you can use tools that lazy developers  picked a near random number, a /64 as a
constant,
or you can reduce your attack surface by

a) only announcing what your are actually using, in this case /126 for p2p links

your call, your network, your inducced vulnerabilities.  Your LIABILITY.

/bill