Are you certain it was a DoS attempt? They may have just been running
a surveillance software package such as URLy warning, which GETs the
pages of a site repeatedly and diffs them to watch for updates. In the
case of an (non-)organization like Occupy I can't imagine law
enforcement would neglect to do this. I've been on the receiving end
of this sort of thing myself (long story).

--
Jayfar