Joe,

On Jun 26, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:
>> We have a customer who was assigned some PI IPv4 space by Paetec back in
>> mid-90's
> I think it's correct to say that the only entities that can assign PI IPv4
> space are RIRs and the IANA.

Nope.  Historically, there was no distinction and people could (and did)
sub-allocate address space with no terms of service indicating the address
space should ever be returned.  After the establishment of the RIRs and the
creation of the PI/PA distinction (encouraged with much controversy in the
CIDR/ALE working group days), there was a concerted effort by the RIRs to move
towards a "lease" model.  I believe that effort may have been reflected in RSAs
at the RIRs, but am too lazy to look it up.

Regards,
-drc