On 06/28/2013 02:28 PM, joel jaeggli wrote:
On 6/28/13 2:15 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
On 06/28/2013 02:07 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Thomas" <m...@mtcc.com>
My first reaction to this was why not SCTP, but apparently they think
Simple Computer Telephony Protocol?  Did anyone ever actually implement that?

No:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_Control_Transmission_Protocol

SCTP is used successfully for the purpose for which it was intended, which is
connecting SS7 switches over IP. It's not as much a posterchild for an
application agnostic transport as some people would like to think.

Well, I'm pretty sure that Randy Stewart has a more expansive take on SCTP
than SS7oIP, but I get the impression that there just weren't enough other
things
that cared  about head of line blocking. But now, 15 years later, it seems like
maybe
there is.

In any case, if what you're worried about is head of line blocking, SCTP
definitely
does that, and there are kernel implementations so for an *experiment* it seems
like you could get a long way by ignoring its warts.

But I think the most provocative thing is the idea of sending data payloads
prior
to handshake. That sort of scares me because of the potential for an
amplification
attack. But I haven't actually read the protocol paper itself.

Mike