Hi Randy,

On 2013-08-20, at 01:05, Randy Bush <ra...@psg.com> wrote:

>> As you may know CIRA has been working with groups across Canada to
>> establish new IXPs.
>
> wow!  i thought there were a lot of ixps, torix, vantx, ...

The TorIX has been the most significant exchange point with growth and traffic
for some years. I hear the QIX in Montréal (pre-CIRA) was active, but I know
less about that one since I've never had occasion to connect and use it. Other
exchange points have existed (or still exist) in Halifax, London, Edmonton and
Ottawa but have struggled to attract interest despite enthusiastic and
well-meaning activism on the part of individuals.

I always had the impression that the BCIX in Vancouver was mainly a cooperative
transit purchasing arrangement between academic institutions, and that all
commercial peering on the west coast of Canada really took place in Seattle.
Again, I have no direct experience however.

What CIRA is doing is providing support in the areas where previous efforts
have struggled, providing hardware, accounts payable, legal, help with
incorporation and forming sensible bylaws and stimulating local discussion and
interest. My perspective is that they have done a great job in Calgary and
Montréal. It sounds like the approach in Vancouver (engage with existing
efforts, see where CIRA can help) is following the same path.

> are these open, neutral, ixps, a la six etc?  or big players trying to
> save the internet from itself?

I think they are as open and neutral as the local ISP communities want, and
that CIRA is not dictating terms but rather enabling locals to do what they
think is best for themselves. Open, Neutral, à la SIX (et à la TorIX) is what
people seem to want.

I think the work CIRA is doing here is sensible, pragmatic, sensitive and
useful. A good use of my .CA domain registration fees. It'd be nice to hear
more about their experiences in Phoenix, if there is a suitable slot available
on the programme.

Joe