On Sep 27, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Randy Carpenter <rcar...@network1.net> wrote:

>> There is no bit length which allocations of /20's and larger won't
>> quickly exhaust. It's not about the number of bits, it's about how we
>> choose to use them.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bill Herrin
>
> True, but how many orgs do we expect to fall into that category? If the
> majority are getting /32, and only a handful are getting /24 or larger, can
> we assume that the average is going to be ~/28 ? If that is so, then out of
> the current /3, we can support over 30,000,000 entities. Actually, I would
> think the average is much closer to /32, since there are several orders of
> magnitude more orgs with /32 than /20 or smaller. Assuming /32 would be 500
> million out of the /3. So somewhere between 30 and 500 million orgs.
>
> How many ISPs do we expect to be able to support? Also, consider that there
> are 7 more /3s that could be allocated in the future.
>
> As has been said, routing slots in the DFZ get to be problematic much sooner
> than address runout. Most current routers support ~1 million IPv6 routes. I
> think it would be reasonable to assume that that number could grow by an
> order of magnitude or 2, but I don't thin we'll see a billion or more routes
> in the lifetime of IPv6. Therefore, I don't see any reason to artificially
> inflate the routing table by conserving, and then making orgs come back for
> additional allocations.

In ipv4 there are 482319 routes and 45235 ASNs in the DFZ this week, of that
18619 ~40% announce only one prefix. given the distribution of prefix counts
across ASNs it's quite reasonable  to conclude that the consumption of routing
table slots is not primarly a property of the number of participants but rather
in the hands of a smaller number of large participants many of whom are in this
room.